Thursday, March 20, 2008

Spring Has Sprung! (A Salute to the Equinox)

Over the past year or so I've really gotten into my indoor garden. I have a small porch and when the time is acceptable I'll move some of my plants outside. After all, it IS only the first day of spring and living here in Colorado I'm anticipating/hoping for a little more snow for a spring break ski date I have with myself and the mountains. (I'm not crazy, I'm excited for spring and warm weather, but I really like to ski.)

Here's what I've got...

  • three orchids (one my sister gave me, one I rescued FROM my sister and a vanilla orchid)
  • 2 Jade plants
  • African violet
  • 5 Chinese five color hot pepper plants (let me know if you want one)
  • 2 Hydrangeas (my favorite, but I have to keep them small and potted living here)
  • Eucalyptus
  • Aloe Vera
  • wild strawberry plant that I intend to re-pot next to some pansies
  • catnip
  • rosemary
  • Thai basil fresh from the seed
  • my hippie plant, a small patchouli
  • some mystery plant (I have no idea what) that my mom gave me

On my list to grow is

  • daffodils (I may be too late for this year)
  • mini plumeria
  • Thai bird's eye peppers
  • kaffir lime tree

I'm not a great gardener, but I do assume both of my grandmas passed on their green thumbs to me. (My Grandma Harms helped me plant the peppers. She touched the seeds and now I have a billion a.k.a. five plants. It works that way.) This assumption and the "I do everything the hard way and try exceptionally hard to be unique" has resulted in my weird variety.

Happy first day of spring to all you gardeners out there, even if you garden in your tiny apartment and containers on your even smaller porch.

No comments: