Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Mel's Strawberry-Rhubarb Vinagrette

Every year I go through this rhubarb phase.  I have 5 plants at my house and it's pretty fun to find something to make with all the crop!  In my search I came across this page...

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/recipes

But I still think I feel better when I create my own! Here's my latest!

Strawberry-Rhubarb Vinaigrette

1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup strawberry-rhubarb compote (this is the same stuff I use for fillings for coffee cake, scones etc.)
2 teaspoons Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
a pinch of salt
some crushed chili peppers (for a kick!)

I like to put it in a little jam jar and shake it!  Put it on a spinach salad with feta cheese and some slivered almonds.  Its crazy delicious.  I'm super proud of this one!


*Strawberry-Rhubarb Compote

1 cup strawberries
1 cup rhubarb
1/4 cup sugar
almonds (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Place all ingredients in blender. Blend well and then heat in saucepan on medium heat until gently boils.  You may choose to add a bit of water.  I usually don't add much!

No comments: