Friday, July 20, 2012

The Pallet Project

Today I made a couple shelves (ok, one is a wine rack) out of the two pallets I brought back from the farm LAST SUMMER.

I blame this project on three things. First, Pinterest, because I have finally found away to keep my ideas instead of emailing them to myself which has proven ineffective. Second the desire to eliminate almost everything out of my house, declutter and keep only what really matters to me.  (gifts from family/friends, things to use in the mountains, and things that remind me of the mountains) Finally the fact that I was actually able to build something I think turned out good.

I'm a pretty simple person but my house is not.  It's a hodge-podge of hand-me-down furniture and chincy lamps or decoration, because let's face it.  I'm cheap.  I love my house but I do not love all that is in it and It's time for a change.

 What if I eliminated all my old nasty hand me down furniture and replaced it with things I built with pallets?  I mean this very afternoon I was ACTUALLY able to pull off building what I set out to accomplish today.  AND I could get most of my material for exactly free!


Here's what I'm thinking.  I've found directions for making a couch, coffee table, wall hanging, shelves, even an accent wall out of pallets.  It could all be stained the same and actually match!  The stain I used today was "dark walnut"  mostly because Grandpa Harms used to love walnut and I loved Grandpa Harms.  


I don't think this is a bad idea.  I would just need to start with the small projects and move to the large.  I think the hardest part about it would be finding the pallets and tearing them apart.   Who's got pallets for me?  I'm starting the pallet project and I'll upload photos as I start to succeed in this.  



No comments: