Thursday, December 27, 2012

Knee Surgery? Check.

As I write this my leg is in a constant moving machine, I'm on pain killers, and I'm excited because I just got out of bed for the first time and peed.  I'm not claiming that this will be the best piece of writing I've ever produced but I'm happy to report that I AM HEALING.  

My care here so far has been phenomenal it put my mind to ease when my preop nurse Kathy told me she and her husband were back country skiers and climbers and have been toying around with the idea of doing a big alpine loop in France. (Thanks Kathy for the book reccommendation!)  My first nurse was a former hard core mountain biker until an injury sidelined her but she still gets out everyday.  I'm in the hands of people who understand me and the best part is my dad's been right by my side, with mom prepping my resort stay on the farm.

I've had a wave of emotions.  I shed some tears when I first got in my room on my bed.  I don't even know where they came from but they needed to come out so they did.  

My pain has been manageable and I'm trying to stay on top of it.  I hate the stupid pain scale they use.  I'm the type that figures 10 is not really achievable but whatever.    My pal Claire called and told me "Tell them to double it up!"  (Digress: I have to tell you I love that woman.  She's out in Alta, Utah cooking her heart out for some orthopedic surgeons right now and she just had knee surgery herself!  Someone should be cooking for her! So if you are sending good thoughts my way or praying for me, please send a few for her too. )  I'm nervous about the journey out to the farm tomorrow.  I don't imagine it will be enjoyable but I had a good warm up the other day when I had the flu and made Scotty chauffeur me back to my house.

This so far has not been as bad as I thought, but it's just begun.  Let's keep hoping that it continues to go smoothly.  I know the mental anguish will be the worst part of the whole thing and I'm brokenhearted about how long it will take, but right now I'm in good spirits because the healing has begun.  

PLUS... IT'S SNOWING OUTSIDE!!!!!  I think that is a very good sign.  

No comments: