Tuesday, July 22, 2008

For All You Colorado Backpackers

This weekend I went on a gorgeous hike up over Thunder Pass into Rocky Mountain National Park. I felt extremely lucky to go with my girlfriends, Terri, Kate, and Stacey. (All of whom, might I add are excellent outdoors women.)

From the very beginning of the trip we had a blast (Stacey works at New Belgium now and we christened the trip with a little fat tire.)

The first night we hiked up to American Lakes and camped in a sweet little moose zone. Terri and I got up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and we walked out of the tent to find 3 moose not 40 yrds away! Since I'd never actually seen moose while backpacking it was quite a thrill.

The next few days was filled with an absolutely beautiful tromp over Thunder Pass and down into Rocky Mountain National Park.  We attempted a hike to Lake of the Clouds but found a nice little snow lake to dip into.  (ummmm... it was really cold.)  

We came out at the Colorado River Trail Head and I definitely recommend this hike to anyone looking for a good weekend trip.  I think it was about 15 miles not including our day hikes.  

This trip solidified the fact that one of my great passions is backpacking and that I undoubtedly love living in Colorado.

No comments: