Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My Favorite, Favorite: Vintage Harvest Hydrangeas

Hydrangeas are my favorite flower. Unfortunately they don't grow really well in Colorado but the Vintage Harvest Hydrangeas by Hana Bay Flowers in Half Moon Bay, CA are my favorite. I picked one up last year at Whole Foods and saw recently that they had them again.

I have it as a potted plant because I can't keep it outside year round in Colorado. We have below zero nights and they won't tolerate that. I even got mine to flower again this year. I'm a super dork and spent a lot of Sunday afternoons googling and reading up on plants and flowers I like and I learned that hydrangeas won't bloom off of new shoots only off branches that have been established. They are also super cool because you can change the flowering color of a plant by changing the acidity of the soil.

The Vintage Hydrangea page also has a link for care instructions. I'd post a picture of mine, but its not quite as pretty as theirs.

No comments: