Monday, March 15, 2010

South Beach Diet Day 1

A few weeks ago I decided I was going to give the South Beach Diet a try. I gave myself two weeks until starting so I could "clean out" some of the food I could not eat while on the diet.

For the next two weeks I will be in Phase 1 of the diet. It's the most restricted time, but I don't think it's really that restricted. (of course I say that now...on day 1) I'm not a huge sweets person but I think just staring at the nutrition facts on the back of all the foods I'm realizing HOW much sugar is snuck into our regular diets and food.

I spent the most part of yesterday planning and preparing my meals for this week. I think the hardest part of the diet for me will be TAKING my lunches and actually getting down breakfast.

I went to Sam's and Safeway and did a little South Beach shopping spree that included

part-skim moz. string cheese
low-fat ricotta cheese
almonds
Canadian bacon
chicken breasts
salmon
lettuce
tomatoes
cucumbers
frozen veggies
broccoli
fat-free, sugar-free jello
eggs


Wish me luck. I actually have to go find a scale to weigh myself on at some point today so I know what my starting weight is, but that's not really why I'm dieting. It's more to create more healthy habits and to become aware of what I'm putting in my body and how it makes me feel, rather than my rush around and eat whatever is available to me. It's also to do a little more planning so I can save more money and not waste so much food.

No comments: