Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Chasm Lake Hike





Every time I hike to a mountain lake I think it is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Last week I was lucky enough to get to hike to Chasm Lake. Chasm Lake sits right below Long's Peak and while I still haven't made an attempt to summit Long's, I've been close. We left early, 5:15 from my house in Loveland and we set foot on trail around 6:30. It took us exactly two hours to hike the 3.7 miles to the lake with a couple short stops to help acclimate.

I've been a little bummed because I haven't gotten in all the backpacking I had planned for this year and if I'm going to set off next summer on the 465 mile Colorado Trail, I need to get a few more longer trips in. BUT as it was pointed out to me the other day, I live here. Rocky Mountain National Park is essentially in my back yard AAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNDDDD.... I can do a lot of day hikes.

I should point out that I'm falling in LOVE with the Big Thompson Canyon. I do forget how close I live to some pretty awesome places to explore.

If you would like to go here is a link to a website that has plenty of info.

The pictures I took were all off of my cell phone, but I'd say they came out great.


No comments: